Update-Canal Z Dredging | 04-04-2014
The dredging and widening of Canal Z from Coral Ridge Drive to Coral Springs Drive began in January 6, 2014. The improvements to the main drain Canal Z in the District’s West Basin are projected to be completed by end of June 2014.
Preliminary plans were to dewater sections of canal in order to remove hard rock due to uncertainty of excavation field conditions. After initial exploratory wet digging, it was found that the specified canal depth of -1 could be accomplished with equipment positioned on canal bank.
Canal Z project milestones to date are:
- 10,000 cubic yards of silt muck removed from Canal ( 1 mile from CR Dr to CS Dr)
- 7,500 cubic yards of cap rock excavated from canal– (CR Dr to CS Dr)
- 5,000 cubic yards of the 15,000 dredged muck have been trucked away
- Grading and sloping of north side canal bank (CR Dr to CS Dr-about ½ complete)
- Material dug from canal stockpiled on bank to limit intervals of truck traffic and minimize impact in neighborhoods
- Ongoing Soil samples and turbidity readings being analyzed
- Junk and debris such as lawn furniture, toys, logs, fences, lawn mowers, and other materials found in canal were removed
- Contractor and District Staff worked with Residents to provide limited irrigation for lawns and landscape during construction
- These improvements to Canal Z will benefit drainage in West Basin north areas such as Westchester, Country Club and Corporate Park